The Alfred Solomon Heart Foundation is a non-profit charitable trust set up in memory of the late Mr Alfred Solomon, ex-Chief General Manager, State Bank of India, Andhra Pradesh and former Chairman, Catholic Syrian Bank. Mr Alfred Solomon was the father of Dr Neville Solomon, Senior Consultant Cardiac Surgeon, Apollo Hospital, Chennai.
One of his greatest dreams during his lifetime was to see his only son become a cardiac surgeon and provide quality cardiac surgery to people who are suffering from cardiac disease and are unable to afford this due to lack of financial resources. Unfortunately, Mr Alfred Solomon passed away following open heart surgery in July, 2000 due to unforeseen complications before he had a chance to see his only son, Dr Neville fully bloom into an independent cardiac surgeon.
The trust is an effort on the part of his son, Dr Neville Solomon, to use the talents and training that his father helped him acquire to further his wish to help the poor and needy who suffer from cardiac-related ailments. This help is rendered to all irrespective of caste, creed, religion or nationality.
Aims and ideals:
- To partially or wholly subsidize cardiac surgery/ other cardiac procedures for children of parents from the lower socio-economic strata
- To purchase valves for patients with rheumatic heart disease who cannot otherwise afford it
- To partially or wholly subsidize cardiac surgery for adults who cannot afford cardiac surgery
- To disseminate information to the public regarding the importance of prevention of heart disease and early diagnosis and intervention
- To contribute to the training of medical/ paramedical staff in the field of pediatric cardiac surgery
- To conduct health camps, particularly to identify children with unidentified congenital heart disease and to counsel the parents on the appropriate timing of intervention
About Dr. Neville Solomon
- MS (General Surgery), MCh (Cardio Thoracic)
Areas of Specialization
- Paediatric Cardiac Surgery
- Valve Surgery
- Coronary Surgery
Children treated by NSHF
The trust is run entirely on voluntary donations which are exempt from income tax under section 80G of the income tax act. The trust is entirely dependent on the generosity of people who voluntarily come forward to donate whatever they can to help these people in need of cardiac care but cannot afford it. The Trust encourages donors to get in touch personally with Dr Neville Solomon at the
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery,
Apollo Children’s Hospital,
15 Shafi Mohammed Road,
and visit the cardiac center he works in to get convinced that the donations will be put to good use.
Donations must be accompanied by a letter stating that the money is a donation to the Alfred Solomon Heart Foundation. Donations made to the Foundation are exempt under section 80G of the income tax act. Under this provision, 50% of your donations can qualify for income tax rebate. Donations may be made by Crossed Cheque/ DD to “Alfred Solomon Heart Foundation” payable at Chennai. All donations will be acknowledged and receipts sent by mail or handed over in person. The donations should be sent to the following address:
Dr. Neville Solomon
Flat No:8B, Block No:3,
142 Poonamallee High Road,